Aging with Gusto
“I never thought about everyday comments that are really ageist. I get together with former classmates twice and year and we are going to have a different discussion now!”
Aging with Gusto participant
Upcoming Aging with Gusto sessions:
Aging with Gusto
Three Mondays, July 23, 30 and August 6
1:00 to 3:00 pm
HealthPartners Neuroscience Center
295 Phalen Blvd
St Paul, MN 55130
Free and easy parking
Free and open to the public
Aging with Gusto: A New Perspective on Aging
Aging. Whether we’re 6, 60 or 106, it’s happening to all of us... if we’re lucky. That’s not going to change. But what can change is how we view aging and how we treat one another and ourselves as we age.
It’s no secret: our society favors youth and shies away from aging. Prejudice against people as they age comes with a twist: It is discrimination against our future selves.
Positive Views Matter
Aging with Gusto works to ignite a more positive view of aging. And there’s never been a better time. More and more people are living to 100—and they’re doing so with more “gusto” than ever.
How we think about our own aging and how we treat others as they age takes on added significance as America and the world age at an unprecedented rate.
Goals for the Discussions
The Aging with Gusto discussions:
- Encourage more positive views of aging.
- Heighten appreciation for the capacity of people of all ages to contribute in their families and communities.
- Increase awareness of ideas, behaviors and practices that are based on misconceptions and biases about older people.
- Develop ideas for how to “age with gusto.”
Ideas for how to "Age with Gusto"
One Aging with Gusto discussion group completed the series of three discussions and generated an outstanding list of steps that we can take in our own lives, in our families, in our communities and in society to "age with gusto." See the list here. Download the list as pdf.
The Aging with Gusto effort is a joint project of the Vital Aging Network and Saint Paul - Ramsey County Public Health.The Metropolitan Area Agency on Aging are sponsors in the project.
For additional information, call 651-917-4652 or email email@example.com.
This section includes the following pages:
- Building a Community that Ages Well - Earlier this month, Community Thread hosted a lively discussion about what it means to age. The Aging with Gusto workshop was attended by 40 people who examined their own views of aging and became ambassadors for spreading the word about the dangers of ageism and how it affects us all.
- Resources - Resources for learning more about Aging with Gusto.
- Design Team - Aging with Gusto Design Team.
- Tell Your Story - Use the link on this page to share the outcomes of your Aging with Gusto discussions.